Welcome to another LUX Challenge! The LUX is a "Live User Experience Design Challenge" that we like to run as a fast design challenge to get quick exploration and new concepts on a user experience problem.
We are looking to develop an app that will collect information from plant sensors. The App would be used by individuals who grow plants and vegetables, linking individual growers together (using plant sensors) to create communities. For example, a community of gardeners could link all the sensors from all their gardens together or a federation of schools could link together. The communities would have the ability to talk to each other and the ability to talk to the wider population as well.
This “LUX - Plantasium Mobile App Design Concepts Challenge" will be run during the next 2 days. At the end of the challenge, we will take your presentation screens and share your collective creative talent with our audience!
The LUX Challenge Series provides you with an opportunity to show digital leaders from some of the largest brands in the world just how good your user interface and user experience (UI/UX) design skills are. LUX challenges are fast, fun, and have more chances for you to capture prize money.
Note: No previous experience in a LUX challenge is needed to compete - jump in and give it a try! Make sure to follow the challenge forum and ask questions as things move very fast throughout a LUX challenge
The goal of this challenge is to take the provided design problem, analyze the user experience and provide design concepts and visual ideas on how the application might look and work.
Challenge Timeline and Rolling Checkpoint
- Challenge Start: 10 July 2019 09:00 AM EDT (02:00 PM BST)
- Rolling Checkpoint will start: 11 July 2019 08:00 AM EDT (01:00 PM BST)
- Challenge End: 12 July 2019 05:00 AM EDT (10:00 AM BST)
We are offering 8 Placements! Plus 8 $50 Rolling Checkpoint prizes!
Rolling Checkpoint Review ($50*)
- Anthony Akingbade (anthoneo) and Adam Morehead (adroc) will provide a design review if you submit your initial designs by (11 July 2019 08.00 AM EDT)
- The first 8 qualifying* checkpoint submissions will win $50
- Within the hour, we will provide any design feedback/guidance
- You must watch the forum for your feedback!
The goal of this challenge is to explore and create visual design concepts for an iOS phone application that collects information from the plant sensors. With this technology, we see the ability for growers, farmers, etc. to track their plants and create communities through this application - to be able to see their plant sensor data, to take action where needed, to share information and to link their individual gardens or crops to create a larger community of garden(s)/crop(s) where it makes sense.
This is a community application so it must be accessible for all audiences, so clarity and ease of use are paramount.
- Clean visuals.
- Colour with intention (reference natural colors from vegetables).
LUX Challenge Requirements
- Design screens for iPhone (Portrait view, 750x1334px)
- We only need 8 screens plus a presentation screen - so create what you think will "showcase" this application.
- In these LUX challenges the "Concepts", you propose really helps the final live presentation
- Font, Colors and design style is open to you the designer. We are interested in family-friendly colors, good use of clean white spaces and contextual use of colors with a purpose.
Things to think about (as a user)
- When I first open the application what should I see?
- What is the priority actions or items I need to interact with
- What are the navigation items (primary and secondary)?
- What makes this tool useful, fun and engaging?
The application would have notification ability. The user would be able to check-in on their plots/gardens and to make others aware that they are there.
If they are physically at the farm/plot/garden community users could communicate with them to check-in on their areas/plants
The application would provide push notification from plants about water/feed/ and other needs
Communication with the community
Hints and tips can be shared within communities (and beyond). Growing tips, photos, etc. with people also sharing what they are growing and when it will be ready.
There would be the ability to trade food/seeds/compost/equipment etc.
4) Information/FAQ etc.
The App would have the ability to provide plant/pest identification and advice. For example, users could take a photo of an insect and the App would be able to say how best to treat the problem, minimizing the use of harmful pesticides.
The App would have the ability for people to keep diaries of what they grow where and would then make smart recommendations based on previous history/data – (think Farmville).
The last feature, probably, later on, would be some sort of gamification to entice interest from kids – think Farmville
7) Additional Concepts!
What else do you think would be useful for this app? Showcase your ideas!
8) Presentation Screen - 1920x1080 (16:9 Ratio)
- In a LUX challenge, this screen is very important to make it look good!
- If you were walking into a meeting and needed to sell your idea - use this screen to showcase your concept.
- DO NOT put extra text on this screen - use it to showcase your application!
Marvel App Prototype
- Your designs must be uploaded to the marvelapp.
- Please send your marvel app request to firstname.lastname@example.org or in the challenge forum
- You MUST include your MarvelApp URL (in your marvel app prototype, click on share and then copy the link & share it within your notes while you upload).
- Community groups that grow foods and plants
- Concepts! How do you tackle simplifying this experience?
- Presentation! This is critical!
- Great modern user interface combined with good usability
- Cleanliness of your graphics and design
- Your design concepts should be possible to build and implement.
- Creativity and simplicity are the keys to success as it must be engaging to users
Submission & Source Files
Please create your preview image as one (1) 1024x1024 JPG or PNG file in RGB color mode at 72dpi and place your submissions within it.
- Please upload PNG images in a zip file with all requested contest requirements stated above. Number your files (01, 02, 03, etc) this will help review them in order.
- Please submit documentation in pdf format with as many pages and images as required to explain your design and solution
- All original source files of the submitted design. Files should be created in Adobe Photoshop(PSD) or Illustrator (AI) or Sketch or Adobe XD
Note: This LUX could have final fixes
Please read the challenge specification carefully and watch the forums for any questions or feedback concerning this challenge. It is important that you monitor any updates provided by the client or Studio Admins in the forums. Please post any questions you might have for the client in the forums.