Data Visualization is known to bring data to life, helping to tell powerful stories and make it easier for mere mortals to spot trends and anomalies. If you choose to accept this challenge, your objective will be to successfully link, analyze, and visualize data from Actian Vector using the data visualization tool of your choice, and to create a tutorial that other developers can easily follow.
About Actian Vector
- Top 4 results for SF300 (300GB, 2011 – 2013, all historical results)
- Top result for SF3000 (Scale Factor 3000 GBs, or 3TB database size, 2016)
About the dataset for this challenge
Sample queries from Actian Vector for this dataset can be found at the following link (http://docs.actian.com/ vector/AWS/index.html#page/GetStart%2FMoreSampleQueries.htm%23), but you are welcome to get creative and create your own queries to draw out some interesting insights for your dashboards.
Deliverables for this challenge
4) Create a screencast that shows your solution in action (voiceover is optional).
5) Follow @ActianCorp on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and/or LinkedIn. Share a screenshot or animated GIF from your completed data visualization project to showcase your beautiful creation to the world. Include the following text with your post “Hybrid data analytics powered by @ActianCorp Vector #DataViz”.
There will be 4x main prize-winners:
- Best tutorial using Actian Vector Community Edition on a local machine - $1,000
- Best tutorial using Actian Vector Community Edition via AWS Marketplace - $1,000
- Best tutorial using Actian Vector Community Edition via Azure Marketplace - $1,000
- Best interactive dashboard powered by Actian Vector Community Edition (local machine, AWS, or Azure) and using your data visualization tool of choice - $500
8x Consolation prizes:
- 2nd Place runner-up tutorial using Actian Vector Community Edition on a local machine - $250
- 2nd Place runner-up tutorial using Actian Vector Community Edition via AWS Marketplace - $250
- 2nd Place runner-up tutorial using Actian Vector Community Edition via Azure Marketplace - $250
- 2nd Place runner-up interactive dashboard powered by Actian Vector Community Edition (local machine, AWS, or Azure) and using your data visualization tool of choice - $250
- 3rd Place runner-up tutorial using Actian Vector Community Edition on a local machine - $125
- 3rd Place runner-up tutorial using Actian Vector Community Edition via AWS Marketplace - $125
- 3rd Place runner-up tutorial using Actian Vector Community Edition via Azure Marketplace - $125
- 3rd Place runner-up interactive dashboard powered by Actian Vector Community Edition (local machine, AWS, or Azure) and using your data visualization tool of choice - $125
Winners announced by March 30th, 2018
NOTE: This challenge will be reviewed by client, in its sole discretion, and there will be no appeals or appeals response phases.
We'll use the scorecard (1-10) for grading submissions. Weighted distribution is as follows:
- 25% Actian Vector and BI tool setup (incl. dataset loading and queries)
- 25% Data visualization dashboard (incl. insightful, intuitive, and visually pleasing)
- 50% Tutorial and screencast of solution
- Be easy to read, and
- include some tests that will help make it easy for developers to validate and troubleshoot
By participating in this Competition, You acknowledge and agree that:
Additional terms and conditions for all participants
- An AWS and/or Azure account may be required if you use their service. Cloud usage charges are the responsibility of the Topcoder member.
- Commercial BI tools may also require an account if you use their service, and usage charges are the responsibility of the Topcoder member.
- You must comply with all Open Source licenses.
- You must comply with all applicable laws in submitting a Competition Submission, and you represent that you are authorized to submit the Competition Submission.
- Actian Corporation (“Actian”) is free to use, disclose, distribute or otherwise exploit Residual Knowledge. Residual Knowledge means information that is retained in the unaided memories of Actian’s employees and contractors who have had access to any Competition Submissions submitted by You. An employee’s or contractor’s memory will be considered unaided if the employee or contractor has not intentionally memorized the information for the purpose of retaining and subsequently using or disclosing it; and
- If You provide comments, criticism, suggested improvements, test results, answers to questions, and other feedback regarding the function, features, and other characteristics of the Actian products in written or oral form (“Feedback”), You agrees that all Feedback is the property of Actian and may be used, reproduced, adapted, modified, distributed, and otherwise exploited by Actian in any manner and for any purpose.
- You are not entitled to any compensation from Actian or any of the benefits which Actian may make available to its employees, and You are not authorized to make any representation, contract or commitment on behalf of Actian.
- Employees and direct and indirect subcontractors of Actian Corporation and its subsidiaries and other affiliates, and employees and direct and indirect subcontractors of Actian’s partners (including TopCoder and its affiliates) are not eligible to participate in the challenge.
- You may only use data that is open and that can be shared with anyone in the world and which is freely available and to which you have rights to use the data in submitting such data.
- You may only use software that you are licensed and permitted by law to use.
- All data visualization dashboards must be original work of the Topcoder member.
Please let me know if you have any questions on the challenge forum: https://apps.topcoder.com/forums/?module=Category&categoryID=41520
Remember, there are also free technical resources for Actian Vector available in the Vector Community forums, knowledge base and official documentation.
Final Submission GuidelinesPlease read the section "Deliverables for this challenge".
IMPORTANT: Include a file called "Submission details" with your entry. Include the following information:
- Links to any websites, source code repositories, videos, and blog posts related to this challenge that you have online
- Links to any and all data sources used in your submission
- If you are one of the winners and you would like Actian to contact you about opportunities to have your entry featured on the Actian blog, please confirm your interest and provide your full name and email address
- If you would like someone from Actian to contact you, please provide your full name, email address and a brief description of what you would like to discuss so that we can connect you with the appropriate person from Actian