Not all enterprise analytics databases are created equal, and some will simply not live up to their hype.
In this challenge, we’d like to introduce you to Actian Vector, a high-performance vectorized column store analytical database designed for high performance analytics by Actian Corporation. Actian Vector was designed from the ground up to exploit performance features in today’s x86_64 CPUs with features such as vectorization and larger chip caches that enable in-chip analytics. Learn how Actian Vector achieves record-breaking speed and performance here.
We’re asking the TopCoder community to join the Actian Community in a race to the finish in the Actian Vector Community Edition setup challenge. Up to $10,000 in total member awards are available. The first 100 TopCoder members to successfully complete this challenge will each be rewarded with $100.
Actian is the hybrid data management, integration, and analytics Company that enables Enterprises to seamlessly manage and connect operational and analytic data for superior performance, insights, and business outcomes. Activate your dataTM - Learn more about Actian’s products here and follow us on Twitter.
Software Setup Requirements:
Request and successfully download Actian Vector Community Edition for free from here.
Register for an Actian ID for free, here.
In the field Email, use the same email address that you used for requesting the product download above.
In the field Company Name, enter “TopCoder Member – [TopCoder handle]” i.e. “TopCoder Member – JoeBlogs”
Follow the instructions in the online documentation to:
Install Actian Vector via standard installation
Create a Database & load data using the DBT-3 Benchmark scripts. Actian Vector Community Edition supports up to 1TB of uncompressed data, and really starts to perform best with very large datasets. If you don’t have a lot of HDD space available for this challenge, you should generate at least 30GB for the purposes of this challenge.
Run the following reporting query on the data you generated:
SELECT l_returnflag, l_linestatus, sum(l_quantity) as sum_qty,sum(l_extendedprice) as sum_base_price, sum(l_extendedprice * (1 - l_discount)) as sum_disc_price,
sum(l_extendedprice * (1 - l_discount) * (1 + l_tax)) as sum_charge,
avg(l_quantity) as avg_qty, avg(l_extendedprice) as avg_price,
avg(l_discount) as avg_disc, count(*) as count_order
WHERE l_shipdate <= date '1998-12-01' - interval '90' day
GROUP BY l_returnflag, l_linestatus
ORDER BY l_returnflag, l_linestatus;
Prepare your submission to meet the Valid Submission Requirements below, and submit your entry before time runs out!
- All Software Setup Requirements and all Valid Submission Requirements completed before the deadline
- Be one of the first 100 members to successfully complete the challenge.
- Members that have already participated in an Actian Vector related challenge may participate in this challenge, but are not eligible for one of the 100 prizes (since they would have an unfair advantage over new users that have not yet seen or setup Actian Vector before).
- Only one entry per Member. Duplicate submissions from the same member, and submissions that are copies from other members will be disqualified.
Additional terms and conditions for all participants
The following terms and conditions must be included in the description of the Competition.
By participating in this Competition, You acknowledge and agree that
- You must comply with all applicable laws in submitting a Competition Submission, and you represent that you are authorized to submit the Competition Submission.
- Actian Corporation (“Actian”) is free to use, disclose, distribute or otherwise exploit Residual Knowledge. Residual Knowledge means information that is retained in the unaided memories of Actian’s employees and contractors who have had access to any Competition Submissions submitted by You. An employee’s or contractor’s memory will be considered unaided if the employee or contractor has not intentionally memorized the information for the purpose of retaining and subsequently using or disclosing it; and
- You are not entitled to any compensation from Actian or any of the benefits which Actian may make available to its employees, and You are not authorized to make any representation, contract or commitment on behalf of Actian.
- Employees and direct and indirect subcontractors of Actian Corporation and its subsidiaries and other affiliates, and employees and direct and indirect subcontractors of Actian’s partners (including TopCoder and its affiliates) are not eligible to participate in the challenge.
- You may only use data that is open and that can be shared with anyone in the world and which is freely available and to which you have rights to use the data in submitting such data.
Final Submission Guidelines
id Submission Requirements
In your submission zip file, you must include all of the following:
IMPORTANT: Include a file called "Submission details.txt" with your entry containing the following information:
Actian ID – you created this when you registered on the Actian Community
Email address you used to download Actian Vector Community Edition
Links to any websites, source code repositories, videos, and blog posts related to this challenge that you have posted online
Screenshots or a short video (not to exceed 3 minutes) of the following:
Show that you have successfully completed the installation of Actian Vector Community Edition
Show the results of the system response from generating data using the DBT-3 Population Generator tool
Show the results of the reporting query on the data you generated
Need help with something?- Please use the TopCoder forums for any questions relating to completing this challenge e.g. to clarify a requirement
- Please use the Actian Vector community forum for questions relating to how to use Actian Vector e.g. to ask a question about SQL data types supported by Actian Vector.