Seeing as it is Topcoder Design Month, we would like to bring you a fun challenge where you can have some fun and play around with the Topcoder Logo!Most of you may be familiar with a practice that Google executes whenever they decide to celebrate someone, something, or an event, where they proudly display their logo on their homepage but they transform it so that it is relatable to what is being honored at the time.
For this challenge, you can take the Topcoder logo and "tinker" with it in a fun way to showcase something happening throughout the year.
Your mission if you choose to accept it is to “tinker” with the Topcoder logo in a way that it celebrates any holiday of your choosing. You are not limited to the typical national holidays... this is any holiday of your choosing. For example, check out the Days of the Year calendar and see if there is a holiday coming up within 2017/2018 that you would like the Topcoder logo to celebrate. The holiday is your choice and please feel free to submit more than one!
Remember each holiday logo must be its own submission. You can submit as many times as you would like.Topcoder Brand Assets & Logos:
Here are the Topcoder Brand Assets
Design Direction/ Tips:
You can change anything you want... but think about the best way to convey your, theme and concept! You are not required to alter the Topcoder icon and the wordmark. You can manipulate only the wordmark (leaving the TC icon alone) or you can manipulate the TC icon (leaving the wordmark alone). You can also edit both the wordmark and the TCO icon if you like... the option is yours! :)
- "Topcoder" should still be legible
- Animated GIFs could be an interesting way to explore your concept for your chosen holiday. This is NOT a requirement though.
- Referencing the Google example as inspiration, look to manipulate the letterforms, explore themes, and tell stories within the logo
- Your designs should work on a white/ light background
- Try to use the Topcoder brand colors if possible (shades/ tints of the colors are acceptable)
- You can change the font for "Topcoder" if it fits into your concept. For example, Google illustrates their letterforms or "turns them into something else". These are all great areas to explore in your designs.
- Start with your selected holiday, research the significance of that holiday (key visuals, themes, colors, key people, etc.), then explore designs that fit/ relate to the research you performed
- Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Rolling Checkpoint Feedback
- We will have a Rolling Checkpoint starting May 15, 2017, @8:00AM EDT
- Submit your initial concepts for feedback from adroc and tgerring!
- Learn more about Rolling Checkpoints!
Logo FUN CHALLENGE Education
- Learn to use Adobe Illustrator, Sketch or vectors within Adobe Photoshop
- Practice working with vectors
- Practice working with conveying your concepts within a small space/logo treatment
- Practice using fonts/typography (hierarchy, manipulation, and visual interpretation)
- Practice using color palettes (hierarchy, visual understanding)
- Practice researching project details
- Learn the Topcoder Challenge submission process
DESIGN MONTH FUN CHALLENGE Timeline & Prize Structure:
Start: May 1, 2017 @5:00PM EDT
Rolling Checkpoint: May 15, 2017 @8:00AM EDT
Final: May 29, 2017 @8:00AM EDT
- The Top 25 designers all get a Topcoder T-Shirt!
- Creativity in using the Topcoder logo and expressing your concept.
- Overall design execution and quality.
- How well the design relates to the intended holiday
- Legibility of "Topcoder". It should still be readable
- Please submit your "Tinker" Topcoder logos as JPG or PNG files at 72dpi.
All original source files of the submitted design. Files should be created in Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop or Sketch and saved as layered files.
Your source files must meet these requirements:
1) Logo file with text intact (not outlined).
2) Logo file with text in outline format.
Create a 1024x1024 JPG or PNG file in RGB color mode and place a screenshot from your submission within it.
As this is a FUN CHALLENGE we will not have any Final Fixes. If we do have additional updates or fixes we will work with you directly as a Topcoder Task.
Please read the challenge specification carefully and watch the forums for any questions or feedback concerning this challenge. It is important that you monitor any updates provided by the client or Studio Admins in the forums. Please post any questions you might have for the client in the forums.