Welcome to another LUX Challenge! The LUX is a "Live User Experience Design Challenge" that we like to run as a fast design challenge to get quick exploration and new concepts on a design problem. The "LUX - 24HR 2016 Topcoder Kickoff Design Challenge" will be run during the next 24 hours.
This LUX has a new twist! We are asking you to create fun and engaging T-shirt designs based on the provided phrase and associated sketches.
LUX challenges are fast, fun, and have more chances for you to capture prize money.
Note: No previous experience in a LUX challenge is needed to compete - jump in and give it a try! Make sure to follow the challenge forum and ask questions as things move very fast throughout a LUX challenge
We are LIVE right now in San Francisco at the 2016 Topcoder (company) Kickoff. We are excited about Topcoder, the Community and what we have planned for 2016 and beyond!
We just ran a fun (internal) design exercise where we took phrases, words or slogans (about Topcoder, Crowdsourcing, Open Innovation, Customers, Marketing etc.) and passed them around the tables sketching our interpretations of the phrases. We played Telephone Pictionary. The goal was to see how the original phrase stayed intact or mophed into something else more creative. Also is there something in the flow that helps create a new graphic interpretation or approach to the phrase?
The goal of this challenge is to take the phrases and their associated sketch flows and create a fun Topcoder Kickoff 2016 T-shirt! We are looking for fun, engaging (wacky) "interpretations" to showcase tomorrow at our event. The entire Topcoder company will be reviewing your designs!
Challenge Timeline and Rolling Checkpoint
The challenge results will be presented at our San Francisco event!
- Challenge Starts: 17th February 2016 16.00 PM EST
- Rolling Checkpoint will start : 18th February 2016 08.00 AM EST
- Challenge Ends: 18th February 2016 16.00 PM EST
We are offering 8 Placements! plus $25 Rolling Checkpoint prizes!
Rolling Checkpoint Review ($25)
- Adam Morehead (adroc) will provide a design review if you submit your initial designs by 08:00 AM EST 18th February 2016 - Within the hour we will provide any design feedback/guidance - you must watch the forum for your feedback!
- All qualifying* checkpoint submissions will win $25
We just ran a fun design exercise where we took phrases, words or slogans (about Topcoder, Crowdsourcing, Open Innovation, Customers, Marketing etc.) and passed them around the tables sketching our interpretations of the phrases. We played Telephone Pictionary
We now want you to "interpret" and use your creative ideas… to come up with some cool t-shirts based on our phrases and wacky sketches. We want to wear your design and remember the great 2016 Topcoder Kickoff and celebrate our community.
Adroc will present your designs to the entire Topcoder company tomorrow during our keynote presentation!
T-shirt Design Topic = Topcoder Kickoff 2016
Tagline = Make Today Tomorrow
- Reference Link (Result of the Fun Designs Exercise)
- Pick 1 or many of the phrases/flows and create a T-shirt!
- What ideas do you have with these phrases and sketches?
- Do not get overwhelmed! This is should be fun (see adroc examples)
- Topcoder Colors
Design Style and Inspiration
- Ignite the Market
- Organizational Transformation
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts
- Challenge Everything
- Say hello to my little friend
- Revolve your world around the customer and more customers will revolve around you
- I love what I do
- Two Heads are Better Than One
- The art and science of open innovation
Adroc Ideas (hints to help your creativity)
Idea 1: One of the phrase flows that I thought was cool was the "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" phrase and how it ended at "gamification". So if I was doing this… I think that phrase + tetris animals (artwork) + gamification phase on t-shirt would be cool, funny etc. So not all the sketches need to be included… it is just want resonated with me.
Idea 2: Another thought would be to show 4 phrase/boxes (or more) and a single sketch associated with the Phrase
- You do not need to use the sketches directly - create your own interpretation!
- You do not need to use all of them - pick something that resonates with you!
- You can trace the sketches if you want.
The following references serves as for inspiration only, DO NOT copy exactly their design.
Check out some online t-shirt retailers, and the kinds of illustration-centric designs that can be created, like:
- Think of a t-shirt design that would individually stand out: it could be an illustration, a typographic creation, some cool abstract shapes, or witty etc - it's entirely up to you. Design something that you would want to keep and wear!
- Keep it simple, don't over design it!
- Remember you are designing for print media. This means no gradients and try to stay away from designs that are too intricate, as they would be hard to reproduce on fabric.
- Be creative with your use of this space! Please avoid the bottom edges of the shirt and the sleeves as that adds extra costs to the shirt.
- Your design must incorporate our company logo the design should be clear and you must retain the correct aspect ratio of the logo.
- This t-shirt design should pop!
- Feel free to add new graphics you create yourself to support your t-shirt design. Bring us your creativity when creating the design for this.
- No generic graphics, make sure there's something meaningful (or inspirational) to your design!
- There should be 2 versions: Black shirt or White shirt version
- This is the most important screen - make it look good! (like you are selling your T-shirt)
- Create a presentation screen of your T-shirt design!
- I need to take your ideas and present them quickly! Showcase your ideas
- Spend more time on your presentation screen as it is the first thing we will show the audience!
- Place your designs within a T-shirt template(s)!
- Presentation Size = 1920x1080 (16:9 Ratio) - It must be this size!
- Create your presentation in RGB format since we will display it on monitor screen.
- Some T-shirt Mockups references (Feel free to create yours):
- Uniqueness and Originality
- Creativity - The t-shirt should be visually exciting and engaging and should incorporate concepts around topcoder meetings.
- Quality - The quality of the graphics as well as following the provided guidelines
Submission & Source Files
Please create your preview image as one (1) 1024x1024 JPG or PNG file in RGB color mode at 72dpi and place your submissions within it.
All requested Contest Deliverables in JPG or PNG file format in RGB color mode at 72dpi.
All original source VECTOR files of the submitted design. Files should be created in Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator or Inkscape and saved as layered PSD/AI or EPS file with 300dpi resolution.
As part of the final fixes phase you may be asked to modify colors or fonts.
Please read the challenge specification carefully and watch the forums for any questions or feedback concerning this challenge. It is important that you monitor any updates provided by the client or Studio Admins in the forums. Please post any questions you might have for the client in the forums.