Cisco Interactive Services
The Cisco Interactive Services solution brings together web-based content and applications for touch screen, interactive, and video collaboration for interactive and non-interactive digital signage and kiosk management. iServices offers remote management and cloud-based deployment capabilities for enterprises and public agencies to deliver compelling and engaging end-user experiences.
About this Challenge
The objective of this challenge is to build a component of an Interactive Device Content Manager application, specifically a content page “designer” web-based app, which allows a non-technical user to intuitively layout content for a unique display device. Imagine a hotel that has display devices (i.e. large flat screen, medium to small TV screen, kiosk, tablet) across the premises (i.e. lobby, gym, swimming pool). This component would allow the user to layout or simply “design” the desired page content for a device, then (through additional future features) allow the user to manage these devices, manage the content library, and configure the content to display on each of these devices.
This challenge specifically is for building the functionality and the experience for a content page “designer” for a user to layout content for display on a single destination device. The content page “designer” web-based app should be accessible from traditional browsers, which will allow managing content layout and design to ultimately render on devices of various sizes (no device resolution constraints at this time – extra points for adaptive design for device screen size flexibility).
Possible future challenges for this Application: App stabilization, UI Optimization, Content and Device Administration, User Administration, and potentially Expand on Content Types and Device Variables…
Use Case Scenario
- User optionally selects a device from a list of available devices (i.e. large flat screen, medium to small TV screen, kiosk, tablet)
- View some sample content (available on the application) that can be used to build the page (e.g. an image file, a pdf, a video file)
- User may now begin configuring and layout out content for the selected device
- User then views a Content Panel (anywhere in the view, your choice)
Note: Key focus is on the WYSIWYG experience that you come up with on building this content page “designer” web-based app.
Conceptual Sample (no need to match this layout – we look forward to your own unique approach and creativity to this)
- Please validate the app user interfaces on traditional browsers: IE 9.0+, FF, Chrome, Safari
- Identify the use of open source libraries used to develop the drag-n-drop capability on the page
- Please ensure the solution is extensible, ie to support additional content types eventually
- Treat all content available on the content page “designer” as objects, and be able to work with the properties of the object (e.g. position, size, type, in-line/overlay, style)
- We need to have an effective way to configure and manage each object properties in the code.