Welcome to the TCO18 India Design Challenge
This challenge is for TCO18 India Attendees in Bangalore, India ONLY. Do not register unless you are attending the event.
Entries must be your original work, and must not infringe on the copyright or licenses of others. All standard Topcoder Terms, Topcoder Policies apply to this challenge.
TCO18 India Challenge Problem
For TCO18 India, we are looking for you to create the visual design for an iOS iPhone app that will help homeowners manage their trash/garbage disposal. We are looking to bring the simplicity of an "uber" like experience in managing residential trash pickup and removal.
Please read the challenge specification carefully and watch the forums for any questions or feedback concerning this challenge. It is important that you monitor any updates provided by the client or Studio Admins in the forums. Please post any questions you might have for the client in the forums.
Full Description & Project Guide
We are looking to modernize the garbage/ recycling/pickup and removal industry! We are looking to design an application for homeowners so they can manage their trash/garbage disposal with "On-demand" trash pickup.
We would like to conceptualize a mobile application where a homeowner would have amazing insight into their trash removal and recycling efforts.
This application will help the user to be more efficient with disposing of and recycling their garbage/trash and balance their daily activity with environmental goals alongside their budgetary ones.
Features to think about
- The user is able to choose the best Trash/Garbage Schedule option that works with their schedule/lifestyle.
- The user is able to see options/description on the regular trash pickup/route
- The user is able to view a Map of Trash pickup routes, current route status, and locations
- The application will show Service offerings (Additional features related to trash disposal such as dumpster rental, pickup service, recycling, medical waste etc?).
- The user is able to schedule trash, recycling or Hazardous waste pick-up times
- The user is able to see their environmental impact through green education and gamification techniques
- Complaints and Customer Support���
- On-demand trash pick up
- Simple uber-like experience for Trash collection
- An application that provides the user with insight into their environmental impact.
- A great experience for a user to manage their garbage/trash disposal (this can include daily, weekly or monthly needs)
- Explore MODERN concepts of residential waste management and how a simple application/service could improve the disposing of waste in an environmentally-friendly way.
1. I am running late putting my trash out for collection and would like to know when they will arrive
2. I am renovating/demolition at my house and need a dumpster for construction debris
3. On vacation - discontinue pick up for 2 weeks
4. Schedule Moving - pick up 2 times a week for next 2 weeks, then discontinue and start collecting at my new address
5. Hazardous waste pickup - paint, oils etc…
What features make sense? What would be helpful to you?
- This is a native iOS application
- Screen Size: 750px x 1334px
- Color and branding is open
- Fonts are open
- Only need to submit your JPG/PNG image
- You do not need to submit your Source File. If you win you will need to submit your source file.
- All normal Topcoder rules apply (Do not copy from the internet and the designs must be created by you.)
- Stock photos and Stock icons will be allowed. (Do not worry about the watermarks)
Possible Screens and Features
See attached wireframes in the forum.
1) Dashboard/Home (Key Screen)
- As a mobile application, this is a priority screen for this type of application. What are the key things that should be displayed?
- Think about how this page should be presented and the key navigation items, features and user actions.
- Map services could show trash pick up truck vehicles, location and time to service
- The user could view their trash management information, including their trash status (Waiting/Picked Up/Delivery/Recycle/etc)
- Timer or notification that could show a countdown before their trash should get picked up.
- Ability to quickly notify the service or plan for "away/vacation"
- Stats on recycling and environment impact
- The user will have the ability to schedule their regular/subscribe trash pick up
- Set of pick up schedule template that user can choose directly from the app.
- Custom Pick Up schedule creation:
-- Option to set daily, weekly, monthly or custom periodic trash pickup schedule
-- Options to select their trash size and type of trash.
-- Provide form area to enter general information about a user ( information, address, etc)
-- Options to select an available/nearby vendor to pick up user trash.
- Provide a calculation of how much the cost for their selected regular trash pickup schedule and provide payment options (via CC/PayPal/cash and pay monthly/yearly)
3) Pick Up/Service Request
- Additional service that the application offers outside regular trash pickup schedule.
- This feature will be useful if the user needs to pick up trash for an event/occasion that needs instant trash pick up immediately (birthday party, building demolition, etc)
- The user will need to select the type of vehicles available and provide information about their trash type, ex: building material, garbage wastes, hazardous waste, etc.
- The user needs to provide a location for trash pick up
- Show cost calculation for this service and payment options.
4) Trash Monitoring
- The user can track their trash/garbage status here (regular, one time picked up)
- View their regular schedule status whether it's picked up on time or late, who's picking up the trash.
- Tracking trash status whether it's already get recycled or not.
- Ability to pause your regular schedule (On vacation - discontinue pick up for 2 weeks)
- Updating information regarding pick up regular schedule (change pickup address, change schedule, change trash size, etc)
- Rating features to rate overall satisfaction for the services.
5). Presentation Screen - 1920x1080 (16:9 Ratio)
- This screen is very important, so make it look good
- If you were walking into a meeting and needed to sell your design - use this screen to showcase your concept.
- DO NOT put extra text on this screen - use it to showcase your application!
- This is the screen to be shown on stage.
Things to think about (as a user)
- When I first open the application what should I see? Why am I using this application?
- Think about the simplicity of apps and services like Uber, Nest, Lyft etc.
- What is the priority actions or items I need to interact with
- What type of items would I see each time I open the application?
- What are the navigation items (primary and secondary)?
- Notification, alerts and push tools?
- Simplicity for doing payment and other services?
- Do not copy the Wireframes they are only meant to help get you started/thinking about the problem.
- Concepts! How do you tackle simplifying this experience?
- Presentation! This is critical!
- Great modern user interface combined with good mobile usability
- Cleanliness of your graphics and design.
- Your design concepts should be possible to build and implement.
- Creativity and simplicity are the keys to success as it must be engaging to users.
- You are allowed full access to the internet
- You are allowed to research colors, fonts, and inspiration
- You are allowed to use stock photos and stock icons
- Do not copy from other designers and do not copy from the internet!
What to Submit
- Application screens as PNG/JPG format (submit what you can!)
- Presentation file of your submission at 1920px x 1080px @72 pixels
Source ZIP File
- Make sure to save your source files in such a way as to be easily found and submitted if requested.
- You will be required to submit your source files if you win a placement/prize money.
TCO17 Round Eligibility
- To be eligible in this round, you must be a registered Topcoder Member
- You must be present at the start of the Round.
- You must be a TCO18 India Attendee and you must be competing onsite, in person, during the TCO18 India event.
- You must abide by the onsite rules
- You must not cheat. All designs submitted must be your original work created solely by you and for the purpose of this competition.
- You must be in good standing with Topcoder with no disciplinary actions against your account.
Placement and Winner Selection
- All submissions from the UI Design Competition Rounds automatically pass screening.
- After the Round, the judging panel is presented with all of the submissions and will have sole discretion in determining the placements.
Overall Champion Winner Selection
- The winner of the UI Design Competition will be the onsite UI Design Competitor with the highest placement given by the Judge.
Good luck and have fun!