Hewlett Packard has developed a set of JSON-based REST API’s which enable “Big Data”-type processing capabilities allowing developers to process information embedded in unstructured text and images in previously inaccessible formats. This platform is called IDOL OnDemand and at this point is in the Early Access release phase, open for all Innovators to use.
HP IDOL OnDemand Hello World Apex Tutorial
This is a tutorial to help you get up to speed on the IDOL OnDemand Platform in a non-competitive fashion and also to give you feedback from some of [topcoder]'s senior members. We're going to award a $250 prize at random to a [topcoder] member who both completes the tutorial and also submits an entry the Hello World Sweepstakes challenge. A passing score will also qualify submitters for the HP IDOL OnDemand "Getting Started Badge" as well as help qualify you for other more advanced HP IDOL OnDemand tutorial badges. This challenge is to build a simple “Hello World” application IDOL OnDemand style. Here are the requirements:
Your application should execute a Find Similar IDOL OnDemand API call from Wikipedia on the phrase “Hello World”.
The application should display the text from the Wikipedia article.
Your application should execute an OCR Document API call from the following image: “http://www.java-made-easy.com/images/hello-world.jpg”
Display the extracted text from the image.
Execute a Sentiment Analysis API call with the text from the Hello World response.
Display the Sentiment Score along with the Sentiment Rating - positive, negative, or neutral.
���Here is a blog post which outlines the exact steps required for completion:
You may also review this video: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6TnWnJApcn6Q2FlOWZ5d0pnOFk/edit
It walks you through the whole process step-by-step.
The tutorial uses the following Unmanaged Package:
- Click on the installation link and then log into your Salesforce instance to install the application
- Make sure to grant third party access to "api.idolondemand.com"
- Click next on the Step 1. Approve Package API Access
- Select "Grant access to all users" on Step 2. Choose security level then hit next
- Click "Install" to install the package
- After installation, click the following link to get to the page. https://login.salesforce.com/apex/IDOLDemo
- If you see any errors on the previous step, make sure to log-out of any other salesforce instance and login to your developer edition account
Getting Started with HP IDOL OnDemand
Before you can use the API’s you’ll need to sign up for an IDOL OnDemand developer account:
Please indicate that you heard about IDOL OnDemand through [topcoder] in the “How did you hear about IDOL OnDemand?” field:
Once your account has been verified you’ll be assigned a developer account and API Key that will allow you to make API calls. Complete information about available IDOL OnDemand API’s can be found here:
You’ll need to register for a developer account with HP in order to get access to additional Try functionality in the API console. Use of the APIs is free and restricted to non-commercial use at this time. Commercial use and pricing will be announced in the near future.
Before you compete in an IDOL-related challenge on [topcoder] please create a topcoder-specific key in your IDOL OnDemand Account. You can do this by Clicking on Account->API Keys from the developer home page.
Simply generate a new key and rename it to “topcoder” as shown above. This should be the key that you use in [topcoder] challenge completion. This will also give you visibility to Preview API’s which may not yet be in public release.
You should be all set!
Final Submission Guidelines
- You should create an Apex application that executes the functionality designated in #1-6 above. In order to get a passing score you should fulfill all of the requirements.
- Sample code, a blog post, and a video are provided to help you complete the tutorial. You may use as much of this material as you desire. There is no restriction from copying or submitting the previously written code. This challenge is for educational purposes only. Of course, the more work you do independently the more you will learn.
- Submit your code as a zip file with src folder. Only your code and the dependencies (Unmanaged Package Link, if needed) are required for submission. No documentation is necessary.
- Comments in your code are strongly encouraged.
- Your code must build and run in order for you to receive a passing score. Don't forget to include any 3rd party dependencies with your submission.
- The tutorial blogs and videos outline how to create this application in the online Salesforce development tools, but you may use any development tool to complete this tutorial.
- In order to eligible for the $250 drawing you should submit the name of the tutorial you completed to the UPDATED!! Hello World Tutorial $1500 Sweepstakes for HP IDOL OnDemand challenge.