Hewlett Packard has developed a set of JSON-based REST API’s which enable “Big Data”-type processing capabilities allowing developers to process information embedded in unstructured text and images in previously inaccessible formats. This platform is called IDOL OnDemand and at this point is in the Early Access release phase, open for all Innovators to use.
As a proof of concept for the API’s, you’re going to help build an important piece of a mobile web application that reads business cards and stores the data in Salesforce.com. There is a design challenge in progress to create the front-end for this web application. This challenge will generate part of the back-end framework responsible for processing the image data captured and managing the interactions with the Salesforce.com platform. We’re not interested in appearances here. This challenge is all about getting the API calls working.
- Developing a business logic interface that acts as an internal facade for the various API calls required by this application.
- Creating a JUnit test suite to validate the expected functionality.
- The application will execute the following SOAP-based API calls to interact with SFDC:
- Login to Salesforce.com and get a Session Id
- Query for Account
- Insert Account
- Insert Contact
- Insert Lead
- Insert Attachment
- Query for a list of Contacts
- Query for a list of Leads
- Query for a list of attachments related to Contacts or Leads.