The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has asked to develop a simple iPhone app and reporting web application. These applications will be used to track and compile “transfers of value” (e.g. gift, meal, speaking fee) from industry manufacturers (e.g. pharmaceutical companies) to physicians.
The project has two primary application objectives:
- iPhone Application – Design and develop an iPhone application that quickly, securely, easily and unobtrusively captures transfer of value detail from both the AM/GPO and provider in real-time scenarios.
- Report Host Web Application – Design and develop a lightweight, authenticated, secure, data collection and report host for installation and use by each vendor. The report host collects data from field-based data-capture tools, and aggregates it according to provider. The report host must be easy to install, configure, modify and maintain.
High Level Requirements
- Produce two applications (iPhone and reporting web app) that are easy to install and easy to use in order to foster high and active participation by vendors and providers.
- Develop solutions that are easy to grow and change in response to changes and new opportunities in use.
- Encourage innovation and diversity in data collection by defining a method of communication to inform 3rd party application developers supporting integration to validation engines.
- Develop Lightweight procedures for sustained use
- Streamline execution of and compliance with regulatory requirements to achieve high compliance rates.
The following is a brief outline of how the proposed process for the applications will function:
- TopCoder will design and develop an iPhone application and Report Host application.
- The iPhone application will then be installed on vendors iPhone devices, followed by the Report Host on a web server (provided by each vendor) via an executable file, along with deployment and installation document.
- To record a transfer of value, a AM/GPO user scans a QR code representing the Physician’s ID.
- The AM/GPO user then enters the remaining details manually into the iPhone application.
- The AM/GPO’s iPhone application then generates a QR code representing the transfer of value.
- The Physician scans the latter QR code for the purpose of personal record-keeping.
- The AM/GPO’s iPhone application then uploads the data to the Report Host.
- Vendors are then able to view the data and send it to CMS. Please note that the transfer of data between the Vendors Report Host and CMS is out of scope for this project.
Atomized Project Plan